The Big Problem of Liquid Plumbing Fumes
When homeowners encounter problems with their plumbing, such as clogged up pipes, many automatically reach for liquid plumbing solutions. It’s quick and usually does the trick. However, liquid plumbing solutions cause serious problems that many homeowners aren’t aware of.
These solutions can not only damage your pipes and leave them in need of repiping services, but they are incredibly harmful to your health. As convenient as they may seem, using liquid plumbing solutions is never a good idea, and this article will explain why.
They’re Made with Toxic Chemicals
When this chemical comes into contact with water, it heats up to dissolve the clog in your pipe. If it mixes with any bleach or ammonia, however, the liquid plumbing solution will create toxic fumes that harm your nose and throat.
These fumes are harmful if breathed, and not only will they irritate your airways, they could even cause drain cleaner poisoning and long term damages. Even after you rinse the solution down the drain, fumes will stay in the air unless filtered through ventilation or purification. This is dangerous for you and your family, including pets if they walk into the room and accidentally breathe it.
It Could Cause Skin Irritation
If you decide to wear a facemask to use liquid plumbing solution anyway, you’re not out of the woods yet. A good enough mask might protect you from fumes. However, fumes still affect exposed areas of your skin. If the liquid product comes in direct contact with your skin, you could have even more problems.
Chemicals in the liquid drain cleaners can cause irritation, rashes, and burns that need medical treatment. Keep in mind; these chemicals are also extremely harmful to your pets if swallowed, licked, or touched. These products should never enter your home due to the high health risk they pose to you and your family.
They Pose Risks for Your Vision
Fumes alone can cause your eyes to blur, water, and become painful when looking at light. If you, your child, or your pet comes into contact with these toxic fumes or the liquid itself, medical treatment is needed right away.
These harsh chemicals can cause long-lasting or permanent damage that requires medical treatment including medication, steroids, or, if severe enough, surgery. Forewarned is forearmed and when it comes to liquid plumbing solution, it’s far better to leave it in the store, keep your family safe, and call a plumber.
The Trusted Plumbing Company You Can Rely On
Magic Plumbing has been serving the San Francisco area for over forty years. With a team of professional technicians, you’ll receive fast service, one-trip solutions, no mess left behind, and convenient scheduling for your needs.