The Ultimate Guide on Clogged Shower Drains
Clogged shower drains are a normal household problem. They build up over time, and may not be noticed right away by most homeowners. In fact, most people probably won’t notice the clog at all until water is suddenly collecting around their feet one day during their shower. It can seem like a moment to begin panicking, but the information below will explain what causes clogged shower drains, as well as how to fix and prevent them.
What’s Causing the Clog?
Clogged shower drains are caused by the slow build-up and accumulation of hair, soap, toothpaste, and any other debris rinsed down with daily showers and usage. While this is normal, clogged drains shouldn’t be ignored.
If left unchecked, clogs can cause backups and major damage to homes and plumbing systems. Once homeowners notice that the water is draining slowing, they should use the methods below to fix the clogged shower drain as soon as possible.
Fixing Clogged Shower Drains
The first place homeowners should check when fixing clogged shower drains is the pop-up. Most tubs have a pop up in the drain, used to stop the drain for a bath. Hair and other debris can accumulate here very quickly and clog the drain.
- Try natural methods: Slowly pouring boiling water down the drain, or using a mixture of baking soda and vinegar, can help dissolve minor clogs in shower drains.
- Use a zip too: Inserting a zip tool down the drain can help grab and clear whatever is causing the clog. This is similar to tools used by professional plumbers, like a drain snake, and can be purchased at most home improvement stores.
- Use a plunger: Fill the tub up with enough water to cover the bottom of the plunger, use a rag to cover the overflow outlet (if there is one) and push the plunger up and down a few times to pull the clog loose.
If none of the above methods work, or there is black gunk coming out the drain, or multiple shower drains are clogged, homeowners should contact a professional plumber. These issues may be caused by something more serious than everyday build up in the shower drain.
Preventing Clogged Shower Drains
Preventing clogged shower drains is much easier than fixing them. To prevent ever having to clear a clogged shower drain, homeowners and renters should make the following habits:
- Always run clean hot water down the drain after every use.
- Install a good drain screen or cover to prevent hair clogs and debris before it goes down the drain, then clean it out every day.
- Avoid rinsing oil and grease in the shower. Instead, wipe these off using disposable towels before stepping into the shower.
Additionally, homeowners should never use chemical drain cleaners, as these can actually cause damage to the drain and pipes. Using the methods above to prevent clogged drains should help homeowners avoid dealing with clogs at all.
About Magic Plumbing
Magic Plumbing has been providing excellent service to customers for over forty years. Their licensed professionals provide five-star bathroom plumbing services to San Francisco and the surrounding Bay area. Customers can expect to receive same-day service at a fair price from Magic Plumbing.