Don’t endure chilly San Francisco weather without a proper heating. Let Magic Plumbing’s experts repair your furnace and get it back up and running as quickly as possible. We will diagnose the issue and work with you to determine the best options for repair or replacement. Since 1980, we’ve offered reliable and cost-effective services to the San Francisco, CA area.
Is your home not heating to your desired temperature? Have your heating system repaired by our local HVAC pros!
Tips for Maintaining Your Furnace
While we like to think our home’s furnace is self-sufficient and will maintain itself, there are certain things we must do to keep it functioning as it should. Perform these furnace maintenance tasks to keep your furnace running smoothly:
- Have the furnace inspected by a company that performs furnace maintenance at least once a year, preferably in the fall before winter temperatures hit.
- Replace the furnace filters regularly, usually at least every three months.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Have the furnace air ducts examined by a furnace contractor.
- Check the blower to make sure there are no obstructions and it’s properly lubricated.
- Inspect the inside of the furnace chamber for rust, holes, separated seams and other defects.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and an emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” on the furnace to prevent overheating.
- Check the rate of fuel usage on the gas meter.
- Keep the area around the furnace clean and unobstructed.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repairs
It can be difficult to correctly identify when your furnace needs repairs. You might think it’s working properly, and then the next day you come home to a chilly house. Fortunately, there are signs you can watch out for that signal it’s time to call a furnace repair company. Some symptoms to be aware of include:
- Short Cycling: Short cycling is when your furnace turns on and runs for less than 3 minutes before shutting off. If this happens, schedule an appointment with a furnace contractor, as it could indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or thermostat.
- Irregular Flames: The flames in a functioning furnace should be in a somewhat even row. If the flames are uneven or if they lean toward the back of the furnace, you should call for an immediate service appointment. This could mean the burners are dirty, or it could potentially signal a dangerous issue - a cracked heat exchanger. If the heat exchanger is cracked, your household is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Unusual Sounds: You should contact a furnace repair company if you hear loud or unusual sounds coming from your furnace. This could signal an issue that needs to be repaired.
Not sure if your furnace can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced? Let us answer your questions about furnace installation.
How to Make Your Furnace More Energy Efficient
You can make your furnace more energy efficient, benefiting both the environment and your utility bills. Some ways to increase your furnace’s efficiency include:
- Installing a programmable thermostat.
- Checking to make sure your air ducts are in good working condition.
- Ensuring your home is properly insulated.
- Scheduling regular furnace maintenance visits.
- Changing the air filters regularly.
- Letting sunlight help warm your home during the daylight hours.